Skip to page body Home About Montgomery Government Departments Residents Business Visiting Employment

Outfall Pond WyndridgeMontgomery has been part of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) since 1982. The City works to reduce flood hazards, adopt policies, update FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps, regulate activities, prepare for flood events, and educate the public on floodplains.  The Engineering Department works with different government agencies and other City Departments to plan, zone, and organize water flow in order to minimize or even prevent the damage caused by flooding. We are also working on our Community Rating System (CRS) which is a part of the NFIP. When communities go beyond the minimum standards for floodplain management, the CRS can provide discounts off flood insurance premiums for their policyholders.
Outfall Pond DeerCreek
The Engineering Department will assist the public in determining if your property is located in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This information is provided as a service to the public and is only for insurance rating purposes.  All planning, construction plans, and construction must be based upon a current Elevation Certificate prepared by a professional land surveyor or professional engineer. The SFHA is also commonly called the 100-year floodplain. The City Engineering Department serves as the local repository for the City of Montgomery’s floodplain maps, for flood map amendments and flood map revisions. You may also access this information at FEMA's Flood Map website.

A copy of the Hold Harmless Agreement for 100 Year Flood District is available, or you may contact (334) 625-2697 for additional information.    

All development in the SFHA is required to have a Development Permit prior to any construction. All buildings constructed or substantially improved in the SFHA must have a FEMA Elevation Certificate (FEMA form 81-31) or FEMA flood proofing certificate (FEMA form 81-65). These forms can be picked up and returned when completed to the Inspection Department, Inspection Service Office Room 134, City Hall (7:30am to 4:30pm). The Engineering Department can assist in determining if you are in a SFHA by calling (334) 625-2690.

For your convenience, a link to the  Flood Ordinance  is available, or you may contact (334) 625-2697 to obtain a copy.

Also, for your convenience, a link to the  Floodplain Development Permit is available, or you may contact (334) 625-2697 to obtain a copy.

Resources and Links:

National Flood Insurance News


Flood Insurance

Floodplain Maps

Flood Protection Info

National Weather Service

National Flood Insurance Program

FEMA for kids

Last updated: 7/31/2013 8:19:25 PM