New Montgomery Transit routes take effect
MONTGOMERY – New changes take effect this week for The M Transit System. The changes are based on a recent ridership study and will result in optimized routes, better scheduling and new stops for passengers.
“Research compiled by our consultants confirmed riders shared similar issues, all of which have now been addressed with new routes and schedule changes,” Montgomery Transit General Manager Kelvin Miller said. “Our goal was to ensure our routes take riders where they need to go as quickly and efficiently as possible, while also increasing service on our most popular routes.”
The City of Montgomery commissioned the study to make more efficient and effective public transportation a reality in the River Region. The number of routes remains steady at 14, but new stops will make it easier for riders to access shopping destinations, medical facilities and career, education or training destinations.
• Route 1 extended along Eastchase Parkway to Chantilly Parkway to access Walmart Shopping Center and Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System Montgomery Clinic;
• Route 2 extended to reach Taylor Road to access AUM;
• Route 3 begins at West Fairview Transfer Center and travels along Fairview Ave. until turning south along Norman Bridge Rd. to reach Baptist South;
• No changes to Route 4;
• Route 5 follows existing route to the Boulevard, where it will now service Walmart and then return to Intermodal Center by way of McGehee Road; Service to Fairlane and Vaughn Rd. eliminated;
• No changes to Route 6;
• Route 7 now includes service to Day Street;
• Route 8 extended to Eastdale Mall;
• Route 9 service extended to serve Evergreen Estates on Troy Highway;
• Route 10 will now provide south service along South Court Street on the outbound trip and Perry Street on the inbound trip to the Intermodal Center. Route will perform loop around Fleming Road, Rosa Parks Ave. and E. South Blvd. back to Court Street;
• Route 11 will begin at Intermodal Center, then follow Rosa Parks Ave. to service Fleming Road;
• Route 12 will introduce service from the Intermodal Center to West Fairview Center to Mobile Road to Terminal Road to Airbase Road then serve Smiley Court; Service to Highland Village eliminated;
• Route 15 eliminated;
• Route 16 now connects to West Fairview Transfer Center with service to Carmichael Road;
• Route 17 is a new route travelling from West Blvd. along the Boulevard to Eastdale Mall.
More information about route changes and schedule updates is available online at www.montgomerytransit.com.